Tuesday, March 10, 2009

IPRUTILS for SCSI on Linux

I've been working on installing Fedora 10 on a PowerPC Power4 IBM server system.  All was well, except I couldn't see 12 of its 14 hard drives.  Perhaps things weren't as well as I'd thought.  Anyway, I could not for the life of me figure out what was going wrong, until I read this and this and this and this.

It seems that there is a special driver that needs to be installed in order for linux to detect and use the SCSI drives on my particular 7025-6F1 pSeries 620 server.  I know that it should seem self-explanatory.  "Duh, yeah, it needs drivers."  In my defense, however, previous x86 IBM servers I'd worked with that include ServeRAID SCSI adaptors didn't need me to do anything to get their SCSI-based storage to work.  I'm wandering into new territory here.

So I'm thinking / hoping / praying that IPRUTILS is the ticket.  I'll post my installation notes once I get everything working.  For those out there who are struggling with a PPC-based Linux server, take heart.  You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment