Thursday, January 1, 2009

To Ring in the New Year

I hope you have all had as excellent a first day of the year as I have. It's been wonderful. I haven't done anything. Nothing. At all. Well, I played a little World of Warcraft, and watched a little House from our DVR. I drank coffee. And you know that if I'm listing drinking coffee as an "activity", it was a very, very quiet day.

However, I didn't want to leave today feeling as if I didn't accomplish anything. And since it is rare that I have the opportunity to write an entry on a computer with a keyboard and full-sized monitor, I thought I ought to take the chance while I have it today.

Unfortunately, when it came down to it, I really didn't know what to write.

So in keeping with the spirit of the season, I thought I'd outline, for your reading pleasure, my resolutions for 2009.

First, I want to get in shape. Yes, I know, it's pretty much a stereotype, but I'm serious. I would like to lose around 10-15 pounds. Now, I'm not terribly out of shape, but I do have some work to do. The reason this might actually work out for me is that I like going to the gym. I know... who likes going to the gym? I'm a little strange.

Second, I want to waste less time. I'm not talking about time spend watching television or listening to music or anything like that. I don't think of those types of things as time wasters. The mind and body needs rest, and those sorts of things provide that. If television or music or any other mindless leisure activity prevents you from doing the things you need to do, that's another story. What I'm talking about are those times where I find myself doing nothing in favor of doing something that could be enriching my mind or furthering my career. Time poorly wasted one cannot get back.

Third, I want to see my friends and family more often. For my wife and I, that's a bit of a challenge. We live just close enough to our loved ones to be able to drive, but just far enough away that it's not worth the trouble for less than a weekend, and are just busy enough for it to be tough to schedule. It's a question of resolve, and for me, that's what this year will be all about.

So there it is: the big three for me this year. Wish me luck. Hopefully, this list can help me be a better, healthier, and more successful midwest geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment