Thursday, February 12, 2009

Copyright 101

I'm beginning to see that starting a website is going to be a big giant pain in the ass. Unfortunately, I can't post a picture of that ass unless I get written permission.

My site concept is simple. It's about technology. I want to post pictures of said technology. I also don't want to have to buy every piece of said technology, just to take its picture. So what's the answer? Grovel for permission.

In my search for answers on the Internet, I've found that there isn't really any good single source for information on how to ask permission to use images. My guess is that most small-time websites don't bother asking permission, hoping to fly under the radar, and most big-time sites have the budget to either create their own images or have a copyright lawyer do the asking. Us little guys who want to do it legally are left to figure it out on our own.

So that's why I'm going post my experiences right here. Keep in mind that I'm no lawyer. I'm just a geek who wants to start a website and not get sued in the process. If you've found yourself in a similar situation with images from the web, stay tuned, and I'll do my best to lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment